We are pleased to learn of your interest in the Physics Department and the University of North Texas. We have a number of assistantships and will consider your application when all materials are received. We offer teaching assistantships (TA), research assistantships (RA), or both (9 month TA+ summer RA). The current nine-month earnings for teaching assistants start at $15,160.00 for the period of September through May. If you enroll during the Summer terms, you may have the option of extending your teaching assistantship or work as a research assistant for the period from June through August. The RA support will follow a standard UNT RA payment schedule, increase as you work toward graduation, and is offered by an individual faculty member. Both TA and RA awards also qualify a student for in-state tuition. The tuition and fee expense is approximately $3,300 per semester for in-state residents. (Please note that all documents need to be submitted by March 15, 2014 for international applications for Fall 2015).
To complete your application, we require:
1. OFFICIAL transcripts in original language from all Universities attended
2. OFFICIAL transcripts in English from all Universities attended
3. OFFICIAL degree certificates in both English and original language
4. PHOTOCOPY of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score should be sent to the Physics Department for evaluation purposes. Once you arrive at the University of North Texas to study, an OFFICIAL copy (directly from ETS) must be sent during the first semester of study.
5. OFFICIAL copy of the TOEFL scores sent directly from ETS. Your application will not be reviewed for an assistantship award until the official report is received by the University of North Texas.
6. Completed APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION TO THE GRADUATE SCHOOL (available onlinehttp://tsgs.unt.edu/apply )
7. $75.00 Application fee MUST be paid before you can be admitted to the University of North Texas. (The Physics Department does not have the ability to waive or postpone this fee.) You MUST be admitted before an assistantship can be offered or an I-20 can be issued.
8. Completed application form for assistantship (available online Graduate Studies | Department of Physics
9. Two letters of recommendation from two of your professors (available online Graduate Studies | Department of Physics
, with written letter directly from the recommending professor.)
10. Submit a Statement of Purpose including the applicant’s laboratory, field, or applied interests, career plans, and discussion of how the Physics program can serve to further these interests and plans.
11. In order for an I-20 to be issued, a statement of financial support must be provided, either
in the form of an assistantship offer or an ORIGINAL Affidavit of Support. How To Apply | UNT-International
All application materials are available online at http://physics.unt.edu/graduate-studies-programs
. The department requires a minimum TOEFL of 550 (213) (79), and a minimum GRE score of at least 640 Quantitative and 3.5 Analytical (4.0 for those who have already earned a Master’s Degree) for admission the graduate program in Physics. Tests taken on or after Aug 1, 2011, the quantitative score should be at least 152. Assistantship awards are highly competitive and the TOEFL and GRE scores of those who receive awards are traditionally much higher than the minimum requirements. Incomplete applications are not presented to the Graduate Committee for consideration of an award. No exceptions are made to this rule.
In addition, UNT requires international students to demonstrate proficiency in written and spoken English. This test is administered after the student arrives at UNT and prior to being placed in a graduate assistantship.
There is a great deal of competition for the graduate assistantship positions; therefore, I would encourage you to return the completed Teaching Assistantship Application and other necessary application materials to us as soon as possible. ASSISTANTSHIPS CANNOT BE OFFERED UNLESS THE STUDENT HAS BEEN ACCEPTED BY THE GRADUATE SCHOOL AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS. If we can provide you with any additional information or be of additional assistance, please feel free to contact me. Please scan and email all documents, forms, letters, etc… for a quicker turn-around time on responses to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application deadline for Fall 2014 is March 15, 2014.
December 10th, 2013, 01:50 AM